Wednesday, August 24, 2005

[Amusing, witty title here]

Welcome to my first blog! Apologies in advance for the illiterate, rambling nature of this post, I am in need of some caffeine and am new to this blog thingie. To begin, I considered posting pictures of myself in my work attire, but was cautioned against it... http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3955913.stm

About the name: radix is latin for ‘base’ as in number base. It’s sad, I know! My defen(s)(c)e is that I could not think of anything else that someone had not already nabbed. I suppose this page could technically be called hexadecimal, I would explain, but then you would fall asleep or call me names, or, if you are like my friend Bob – you would do both! I thought I would mention the name because a google search may result in something funny to do with psychology of stored emotions in muscles or something. Oh well, it’s not as bad as googling ‘jj sac’ ;)

Well, back to school! New books, new classes, new things to piss me off! Actually, this week has gone quite well so far, all my classes have been in the rooms they were supposed to be in and all the instructors seem to know who I am. This has saved me the embarrassment of being the guy who sits down, unpacks a notebook, three pencils, a pen and perhaps even a calculator - only to have to grab the lot and dash out of the hall as soon as the prof’ welcomes us to Nursing 1100. I have been spending some time in the library as of late and a very nice library it is too. The difficulty I have when I go to find a computer is that at certain times of the day all the computers are being used, usually by idiot freshmen emailing their mates about a guy who knows a guy whose brother can maybe score them a can of Bud. Of course this is very frustrating to serious, academically minded souls like me who need access to a computer in order to do homework or write blogs. In order to get a computer in the library at peak times there are three strategies one can follow:

1) Go upstairs to find the computers dotted in random corridors that no-one knows about. The best chances are to be had with the ones close to stairs - this is America after all!

2) Pace up and down the library past the rows of PCs by the window, then circle round and round one of the cluster, making sure to look left, right, left right...In the hope of finding a free machine. You will find that you are joined in this pursuit by ten of your fellow students, at which point an air of competition descends, and certain strategies come into play. The trick is to look round corners and further ahead than everyone else, also remember at the clusters you need not circle around- you can count the tops of people's heads in order to find a vacant 'puter. You must do all of this for about ten minutes after which you are either successful, or you admit defeat. Should you fail then you must do the same little search again, this time for a comfy chair with a footrest, as far away as possible from any hairy-legged, unwashed, flip-flop sporting frat boys. Speaking of frat people, what’s with this whole Greek thing anyway? Does anyone know any Greek people (I mean people hailing from the land of Greece, Grecians???) who find this odd? Has anyone checked what the letters mean in translation? Are there people out there inadvertently walking around with sporting a yellow T-shirt some rude word? Even if this is not the case, would anyone think they had better lay off the drugs if they saw a bunch of people walking round with shirts saying ‘A’ or ‘P’ or something? Anyway, back to finding a computer- strategy number three if I am not mistaken…

3) Sit within striking distance of the clusters and wait until someone starts to pack up their stuff. Then you must leap out of your seat and stand real close to them in order to nab their 'puter. You can amuse yourself during the wait by watching the other students wheeling around and around the library looking for a free machine. Some days it's quite poetic, like some kind of dance really. They seem to lock into a strange kind of synchronicity and you see the same people come around again every few minutes. They also can look like a bunch of buzzards circling road kill. I'll leave the reader to choose their own simile (smiles are good too, according to my spellchecker :o) This is my favorite strategy because it makes me feel superior to the fools who must wander in some kind of limbo, hah ahha ahha hah hahahahah! To be honest, it also lets me put my rucksack down, have a rest and read one of my many books!

I seem to have a lot of textbooks this semester and they are all great tomes, and they all weigh a freakin'-ton (3 shitloads or 2.78 metric tonnes)! The problem is that several of my instructors insist we bring the books to class, also, I am often stranded on campus waiting for the next class to start in several hours time and I have to bring my textbooks with me in order to study. The upshot of all this is, I am often forced to carry a rather full looking rucksack using both shoulder straps. What's the problem I hear you cry! Well...there isn't one as such, only I object to walking around campus looking like a ghostbuster! I did try placing one strap over my head and across my chest, after almost choking I decided that looking cool/not like a nerd wasn't worth it. So now I come to campus with my shiny shoes and my smart clothes ('cause I have work after) and a backpack strapped on. I get the impression that everyone can tell that I like math and are secretly castigating me for being a geek or whatever Americans label good-looking, intelligent, mature, hardworking individuals such as myself. I don't care though, because I am usually listening to Dark Tranquility or some heavy shit so I know I'm cool ;) An' if anyone gives me any crap, I know how to put on an accent just like Vinnie Jones in Lock Stock, if that fails I can do a good manic laugh.

Anyway, that's quite enough for now. Might write more later when I can actually think of something interesting to say! Must go to work this evening, might upset me thus leading to further blogs. Might become a bit of a theme here, it seems as though I am only motivated to write by things that piss me off! Don’t expect much in the way of positive, humanistic style thinking here, misanthropy is far more fun! I come from a miserable rainy city known for its miserable bands remember!

Any spelling or grammatical errors in the above text are entirely not my own, and are caused by the sabotaging acts of unknown agents whose only desire is my humiliation. Pin the Tail on the Donkey can indeed be played by one person, all that is required is a word processor of some kind and a large sack of commas.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good going at least now I can keep tabs on you.

Was limey already gone?

10:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home